Each year the Nevada Department of Education publishes the Rising Stars Schools List. Rising Stars Schools meet the criteria for state level intervention because they are struggling to meet expectations for student achievement and school performance. This list of schools is the starting point for identifying schools for supports and interventions, including the Achievement School District.
How is a school identified as a Rising Stars School?
As defined in Nevada’s federally approved Every Student Succeeds Act Plan, Rising Stars Schools fall into at least one of the following categories:
- Are in the lowest 5% of schools based on their Index Score
- Received a rating of 1-Star on the Nevada School Performance Framework
- Are High Schools with a graduation rate below 67%
How does the Nevada Achievement School District Intervene in a Rising Stars School?
Each year the Nevada Achievement School District may select up to six eligible Rising Stars Schools for intervention. The Nevada Achievement School District works with the community and experienced educators and organizations that have success turning around schools to provide a high-quality, public, neighborhood school.
How can parents get involved?
- Parents may petition for the changes that they believe will best help their school improve
- Parents may contact the Nevada ASD by email at email@example.com or by phone at 702.668.4337