English Mastery Council
Senate Bill 504 was passed by the 2013 Nevada
Legislature. This bill requires the
creation of a statewide English Mastery Council (EMC) in order to improve the
quality of English Language Learner (ELL) education in Nevada. The EMC has 3 main areas of work which include
I. TESL Endorsement:
- Review university courses of
study to teach ESL;
- Recommend improvements for
any courses of study;
- Make recommendations for the
adoption of regulations concerning the requirements for an endorsement to Teach
English as a Second Language (TESL); and
- Submit TESL recommendations
to the Commission on Professional Standards.
II. District Policy and Plan Criteria:
- Make recommendations
concerning criteria for all districts to develop their policy to
- Submit policy criteria recommendations
to State Board; and
- Review annually each
district policy to serve ELLs.
III. Standards and Curriculum:
- Develop standards and criteria for a curriculum for ELLs for consideration by the State Board.