English Mastery Council
Senate Bill 504 was passed by the 2013 Nevada Legislature. This bill requires the creation of a statewide English Mastery Council (EMC) in order to improve the quality of English Language Learner (ELL) education in Nevada. The EMC has 3 main areas of work which include the following:
TESL Endorsement Subcommittee
Review university courses of study to teach ESL;
Recommend improvements for any courses of study;
Make recommendations for the adoption of regulations concerning the requirements for an endorsement to Teach English as a Second Language (TESL); and
Submit TESL recommendations to the Commission on Professional Standards.
- TESL Subcommittee Meeting Materials
- TESL Subcommittee Resources
District Policy and Plan Criteria Subcommittee
Make recommendations concerning criteria for all districts to develop their policy to serve ELLs;
Submit policy criteria recommendations to State Board; and
Review annually each district policy to serve ELLs.
- District Policy and Plan Criteria Subcommittee Meeting Materials
- District Policy and Plan Criteria Subcommittee Resources
Standards and Curriculum Subcommittee
Develop standards and criteria for a curriculum for ELLs for consideration by the State Board.
- Standards and Curriculum Subcommittee Meeting Materials
- Standards and Curriculum Subcommittee Resources