Created by NRS 391.516, the Statewide Council for the Coordination of the Regional Training Programs is a nine member public body consisting of the following: the Superintendent of Public Instruction (or his or her designee), one member appointed by the Governor, a Majority Leader of the Senate appointee who is not a Legislator, a Speaker of the Assembly appointee who is not a Legislator, a teacher appointed by the Governor from a list of nominees submitted by the Nevada State Education Association, a public school-based administrator appointed by the Governor from a list of nominees submitted by the Nevada Association of School Administrators, and three members (each of whom is a superintendent of schools, or his or her designee) appointed by the governing body of each regional training program to represent the school districts served by the program. The roles/responsibilities of the Council (as outlined in NRS 391.520) are as follows:
- Adopt uniform standards for use by the governing body of each regional training program in the review and approval by the governing body of the training to be provided by the regional training program pursuant to NRS 391.540 and 391.544. The standards must ensure that the training provided by the regional training programs includes activities set forth in 20 U.S.C. § 7801(34), as appropriate for the type of training offered, is of high quality and is effective in addressing the training programs specified in subsection 1 of NRS 391.544.
- In cooperation with the Office of Parental Involvement and
Family Engagement created by NRS 385.630, establish a statewide program for
teachers and administrators concerning effective parental involvement and
family engagement which includes:
for teachers on how to engage parents and families, including, without
limitation, disengaged families, in the education of their children and to
build the capacity of parents and families to support the learning and academic
achievement of their children.
for teachers and paraprofessionals on working with parent liaisons in public
schools to carry out strategies and practices for effective parental
involvement and family engagement.
- Coordinate the dissemination of information to school
districts, administrators and teachers concerning the training, programs and
services provided by the regional training programs.
- Disseminate information to the regional training programs
concerning innovative and effective methods to provide professional
- Conduct long-range planning concerning the professional
development needs of teachers and administrators employed in this state.
uniform procedures and criteria for use by the governing body of each regional
training program to report the evaluation conducted pursuant to NRS 391.552.
- Review and recommend any necessary revisions to the 5-year
plan prepared by the governing body of each regional training program pursuant
to NRS 391.540.
- Review and recommend any necessary revisions to the annual
report prepared by the governing body of each regional training program
pursuant to NRS 391.552.
- Ensure that the governing body of each regional training
program considers the plans to improve the achievement of pupils prepared
pursuant to NRS 385.357 for the public schools within the primary jurisdiction
of the regional training program and the plan to improve the achievement of
pupils prepared by the State Board pursuant to NRS 385.3593 and is guided by
those plans in the provision of professional development for teachers and
with the Office of Parental Involvement and Family Engagement in carrying out
the duties of the Office.