Do I qualify for an educator license in Nevada?

In our evaluation process, we check your undergraduate degree major, completion of a teacher education program, completion of student teaching, verification of teaching experience, valid out-of-state license (if applicable), and passing test score reports. An analysis of those documents will determine your eligibility for an educator license. Specific coursework and testing requirements for each license type can be found on our General Licensure Information page.

    My Nevada educator license has expired, what steps do I follow?

    If your expired license was either a standard or professional license, you will need to reapply through OPAL and submit an original completed and signed fingerprint card or visit one of the approved vendors for electronic fingerprinting and provide original transcripts verifying six credit hours of coursework or professional development. The fee to reapply for an expired license is $180.00, payable by Visa, Master Card, or Discover. Payments will be collected through OPAL. If needed, forms can be found on the Forms page.

      How do I know what testing is required for Nevada licensure?

      Please visit our Testing Requirements page for the most current requirements.

       IMPORTANT information for Senate Bill 20 is also located on the Testing Requirements page.

        Which license should I apply for?

        Please visit our License/Endorsement page for the most current information on requirements for specific areas of licensure.

          What is the process for Submitting Escript© transcripts to the Office of Educator Licensure?

          The Nevada Department of Education, Office of Educator Licensure can only accept Escript© transcripts sent directly from the university/college to us. Request that your university/college email the transcript to:

          What credits do I need to renew a standard or professional license?

          Six credit hours of instruction are required for a license renewal. The credit hours can be professional development credits sponsored by your school district, university/college credits, or a combination of both. The credits used for renewal must be earned after the last renewal date and prior to the expiration date of your current license. (see Forms page)

            How do I renew my "non-renewable/provisional" license?

            If you hold a non-renewable/provisional license, you may upgrade your license to a standard or professional license as soon as all provisions are removed. No coursework or professional development credits are needed for a license upgrade from non-renewable/provisional to a standard/professional license. (see the Forms page)

              How do I remove provisions from my license?

              Praxis testing provisions – Many of the Praxis testing provisions may be removed electronically through OPAL, but to insure provision removal, please make sure to log into your OPAL account and request a provision removal and upload your supporting documents. An analyst will review the request along with the supporting documents you have uploaded to remove the provision.

              Coursework provisions – Please log into your OPAL account and submit a request to remove the provision(s). This requires submittal of regionally accredited official college or university transcripts; you may have your college/university mail to our office at:
              Nevada Department of Education
              Attn: Office of Educator Licensure
              9890 S. Maryland Pkwy., Ste. 221
              Las Vegas, NV 89183

              We also accept walkin-in transcripts at our Carson City and Las Vegas offices or you may have your college, university, or clearing house submit your eScripts to us at: to
              remove an existing coursework provision(s) prior to the expiration date of the provision.

                Do I qualify for a retired Nevada educator license?

                To qualify for retired status, submit your renewal application prior to the expiration date of your current Nevada license, along with verification from the Public Employees Retirement System (PERS) showing a minimum of 15 years of full-time teaching experience and your official retirement date. We also accept verification of experience with 15 total years between the Nevada Public School System, Private Schools, and Charter Schools (see the Forms page for the verification of experience form)

                  I can legally work in the United States, but am not a U.S. citizen or Permanent Resident. Can I qualify for an educator license?

                  Under certain circumstances, applicants may qualify for a Nevada educator license pursuant to subsection 2 of NRS 391.060, as amended by AB 27 in the 2015 legislative session. An applicant will only qualify for licensure under this law if he or she has been offered a position as a teacher by a Nevada school district or charter school, and if certain other conditions are met. Applicants must also meet all requirements for the type of license applied for, as specified on the Specific Areas of Licensure page. An educator license issued pursuant to this statute will become invalid if the licensee’s employment with the school district or charter school is terminated, or if his or her legal work status expires or is revoked. (see the Specific Areas of Licensure page)

                    What changes did AB 27, which passed in the 2015 Legislative Session, make to existing law regarding educator licensure?

                    Pursuant to subsection 2 of NRS 391.060, under certain strictly defined circumstances, the Superintendent of Public Instruction may issue an educator license to an individual who is entitled to work in the United States, but is not in one of the following groups:  

                    • A citizen of the United States;
                    • A person who has files a valid declaration to become a citizen or a valid petition for naturalization; or
                    • A lawful permanent resident of the United States.   

                    AB 27, which passed in the 2015 legislative session, makes the following changes to the statute:  

                    • AB 27 removes the existing requirement that a school district or governing body of a charter school requesting licensure for such an individual prove the existence of a shortage of teachers within the specific area for which the individual will be licensed. The district or charter school needs only to prove that a general shortage of teachers exists.
                    • It adds the option for a school district or governing body of a charter school to request licensure for such an individual, even if no shortage of teachers exists, if they have been unable to hire anyone else possessing that person's skills, experience, or abilities, and if those skills, experience, or abilities are needed to address an area of concern.
                    • It authorizes the governing bodies of charter schools, many of which operate independently of an established school district, to request licensure for a qualifying individual in the same circumstances in which a school district may do so.

                    AB 27 requires a school district or charter school that employs an individual licensed pursuant to subsection 2 to notify the Department of Education within five days of termination of that individual's employment.

                      AB 27 does not permit the licensure of persons without the legal ability to work in the United States as educators in Nevada. In fact, NRS 391.060 explicitly states that any license issued pursuant to subsection 2 will automatically expire on the date that the licensee's legal work status in the U.S. is no longer valid. It also provides that any such license will only be valid to teach within the specific school district or charter school with originally requested the issuance of the license.
                      AB 27 also does not permit unqualified individuals to obtain educator licenses. The statute requires anyone obtaining a license under the provisions of subsection 2 to be fully qualified to teach in the area in which they will be licenses, except for meeting the requirement for U.S. citizenship or legal permanent residency, or having filed a valid declaration to become a citizen or permanent residency, or having filed a valid declaration to become a citizen or permanent resident. This means that anyone applying for a license must meet all the requirements for college or university coursework, student teaching, and competency testing that would normally be enforced.

                        How do I get pre-approval for recertification/renewal credits, such a conferences?

                        If you are planning on attending a conference, seminar, or in-service training session, complete an In-Service Course Preapproval Form and submit it to the Office of Educator Licensure for approval at least 30 days before attending the event. (see Forms page)

                        If you are an in-service or conference provider, please visit our Educator Development and Support page for the most current information and requirements regarding approval of your event for renewal credit in Nevada. (see Educator Development and Support page)

                          What is the status of my licensure application?

                          Please check our homepage to see the current application processing timeline or to view the status of your actual educator license, simply log into your OPAL profile and the dashboard will show you where in the process your application is.

                            What are the fees and acceptable payment types for an educator license?

                            • Educator License $180.00
                            • Substitute License $180.00
                            • Business and Industry $180.00
                            • Special Qualifications License $180.00
                            • Licensure Renewal $150.00
                            • Each additional endorsement $ 50.00
                            • Military Discounts are available for Active Duty Military, Military Veterans, Retired Military and their spouses. We require documentation such as a DD214 or military ID to be uploaded to your OPAL profile

                            We currently accept Visa, MasterCard, or Discover.
                            We cannot accept personal checks or cash. All licensing fees are NONREFUNDABLE

                              Can I submit fingerprints electronically (Livescan) for my background check?

                              Yes. An applicant who chooses to submit fingerprints electronically via Livescan must first register for an account through OPAL to apply for licensure and pay, licensing fees. Once the application and fees are received, he or she will be sent an email detailing where all the NDE-approved fingerprinting agencies are located. You will need to bring a government-issued ID to the vendor to have them submit your fingerprints to the DPS and FBI on our behalf.

                              If you prefer to turn in a fingerprint card rather than submit prints via Livescan, you may still do so. Fingerprint cards must be FBI form FD-258 or an equivalent card, and they must be submitted to one of our licensure offices located in Carson City or Las Vegas. If you wish to mail the fingerprint card to us, please send to:

                              Nevada Department of Education
                              Attn: Office of Educator Licensure
                              9890 S. Maryland Pkwy., Ste. 221
                              Las Vegas, NV 89183

                                What agencies can submit my fingerprints via Livescan?

                                The Department of Education currently works with a group of approved Livescan vendors, which are listed on the authorization information which will be emailed to you. Only approved locations may be used for electronic fingerprint submission. Approved vendors are located in Las Vegas, Carson City, Reno, and Elko. Applicants who do not live near an approved Livescan location will have to turn in a fingerprint card in lieu of submitting prints electronically.

                                Most Law enforcement agencies do not submit fingerprints via Livescan for the Department of Education, although they can still take an applicant’s fingerprint and provide him or her with a fingerprint card to turn in.

                                Livescan submissions from out-of-state vendors will not be accepted by the Department of Public Safety for background processing. Anyone who resides out of state and wants to apply for or renew a Nevada educator license, must submit a fingerprint card with his or her application.

                                  My local Police department uses a different fingerprint card than the FD-258. Is it okay to submit my fingerprints on their card instead?

                                  No. All fingerprint cards submitted for purposes of educator licensing must be on FBI form FD-258 or the equivalent, for the reasons listed on our Background Process page. (see The Background Process page)

                                    How long will it take to complete my background check?

                                    Since the Department of Education uses the FBI and the NV Department of Public Safety to process backgrounds, we have no control over the time frame involved. Depending on circumstances, we may receive criminal histories in as little as four weeks, or it may take much longer. If your fingerprints are rejected as unusable and you have to submit a new set of prints, this may significantly delay the completion of your background check.

                                      My fingerprints were rejected. Why did these happen, and what should I do now?

                                      There are several reasons why fingerprints may be considered unusable by DPS or the FBI. This may be a result of an error in the fingerprinting process, but more typically is because of physical conditions that make it difficult to obtain clear fingerprints (such as excessively rough or dry skin, or certain medical conditions). See “Rejected Fingerprints” on our Background Process page for more information on how to proceed. (see The Background Process page)

                                        What types of criminal offenses are considered grounds for denial of a Nevada educator license?

                                        Pursuant to the provisions of NRS 391.033, any conviction for a felony or for a misdemeanor or gross misdemeanor crime involving moral turpitude is grounds for denial of an educator license. A background review will determine if a conviction appearing on an applicant’s criminal history report is disqualifying or not.

                                        You may request your own criminal history from the Nevada Repository and/or the FBI; see the Background Process page for more information. (see The Background Process page)

                                        I have an arrest and/or a conviction on my record. What documentation might I be asked to supply in order to complete my background evaluation?

                                        You will usually only receive a request for further documentation from our office if your criminal history report is incomplete, or if it shows an arrest but no final case disposition. The types of documents we usually require include (but may not be limited to) court records showing case dispositions, orders for reversal/expungement/dismissal of a conviction, police/district attorney’s reports indicating that a case was or was not prosecuted, or parole/probation reports showing successful completion of probation or a pre-trial diversion program.

                                          What if I have completed the teaching and coursework requirements for a Nevada ARL license?

                                          If you have completed your teaching commitment under your alternative license, your school district, charter school, private school, or ARL provider must verify that you have done so in accordance with their requirements. You will need to submit an application through OPAL, official transcripts of coursework completed during your ARL licensure period, 1 complete set of fingerprints (either electronic submission or a completed FD-258 fingerprint card), and a fee of $180.00 in order to apply for a standard teaching license. For any additional information regarding ARL, please visit our Educator Development and Support page. (see the Alternative Route To Licensure (ARL) – Providers page)

                                            Why was my substitute license omitted from my educator license?

                                            As of June 1, 2011, a valid teaching license qualifies you to serve as a K-12 substitute, so you no longer need a separate substitute license as this would be redundant.