Licensure Renewals

Information for All Applicants

A criminal background check is a requirement of all applicants for Nevada Department of Education licensure pursuant to NRS 391.033. In all cases, you will also have to background for your employer. Please note that your employer and the NDE do not share your information and you will (in most cases) be required to do two separate background checks. Failure to background check for the NDE will result in denial of licensure and then you will need to reapply and repay the fees.

If you are applying or renewing for any Nevada educator license, you must meet the following requirements: Pursuant to NRS.391.060, you must be a citizen of the United States or a lawful permanent resident of the United States with a valid Permanent Resident Card. If you are a naturalized U.S. citizen, you must show either a valid U.S. Passport or a Certificate of Naturalization. If you are not a U.S. citizen or permanent resident, but have legal immigration status which allows you to work in the United States, you may be licensed as an educator in Nevada only if a Nevada school district or Charter School has offered you employment and provided you with a completed Notification of Offer of Employment form linked below:

You must meet all requirements for academic preparation, student teaching, and competency testing for the specific area of licensure for which you are applying. In some cases, full-time contracted teaching experience may waive student teaching requirements, please see NAC 391.042 for more information.

Renewing Licensure Applicants Checklist

If you are renewing your license, you will need to first register for your online profile through OPAL and follow the checklist below:

Non-Renewable/Provisional Educator Licenses

A Non-Renewable/provisional Educator License may be upgraded to a Standard or Professional License once all provisions on the license have been satisfied. Test scores showing satisfaction of all provisions must be submitted through OPAL along with a completed renewal application. Original transcripts showing passage of required coursework must be submitted to our office at our mailing address or via e-Script to:

Please note that renewal credits are NOT required for persons holding a “Non-Renewable/Provisional” license at the time that they are converting this license type to a Standard or Professional License.

    Renewal Credits

    To renew your Standard or Professional Educator License, you must submit evidence of completion of six (6) semester hours of continuing education or six (6) professional development credits. Each credit is equal to 15 hours, which means over the course of the license each educator must obtain ninety (90) hours of continuing education.

    Credits may be earned from any accredited postsecondary institution, or from any approved continuing education provider. These credits must have been earned after the date your most recent license was issued, and before its expiration date.

    Pursuant to
    NAC 391.075 , credits used for license renewal may be earned by: 

    1. Attending a course at, or taking a correspondence course given by, an accredited college or university, attending any state or national conference which has been approved by the Department to offer credit for continuing education or taking an in-service course offered by the Department or a continuing education course offered by a provider who is approved by the Commission if the course or conference:

    • Is directly related to the person’s current license or will enhance the effectiveness of the person’s teaching;
    • Is in a subject for which shortages of personnel, as determined by the Board, exist; or
    • Is part of an approved program leading to an advanced degree;

    2. Engaging in foreign or domestic travel which is directly related to the area of licensure of the person and is approved not less than 30 days before departure by the Department; two credits will be given for 6 weeks of travel, 1 credit for 1 month. No credit will be allowed for travel of less than 1 month, or

    3. Completing courses provided by or under the jurisdiction of a state or national professional organization or association which is specific to the person’s area of discipline and which is on a list maintained by the Department.

    4. One credit will be given for the completion of 15 hours of: 

    • Course work at a college or university accredited by a regional accrediting association;
    • In-service courses offered by the Department; or
    • Classroom instruction in continuing education or attendance at a conference for which continuing education credits may be earned, if the state or national professional organization or association and the course or conference have been approved by the Department at least 30 days before the course or conference commences. 

    5. A person holding a master’s degree or a more advanced degree may receive not more than 2 credits by conducting a seminar or workshop or by teaching at the college or university level, if the seminar, workshop or course being taught is in the area of licensure of the person.

    6. A holder of a special license to teach career and technical education may earn a maximum of 2 credits for 160 or more hours of full-time continuous employment in the career and technical education field in which he or she teaches and is licensed. The credit for employment must be approved by the Department or a university or college.

    7. A person is entitled to receive 6 credits for the completion of the requirements for the National Board Certification upon the submission of a copy of the official assessment scores issued to that person by the National Board for Professional Teaching Standards. A person is not required to be a holder of a National Board Certification to receive such credits.

    Special Renewal Circumstances

    If the license is issued on a Specialist’s or Doctor’s degree or a National Board Certification, the license may be renewed if the holder shows evidence of professional growth in the area of endorsement during the term of the license. Professional growth in this instance is showing proof of having taken a class in their field, having taught a class in their field, attended a conference in their field, or having taught at a conference in their field.

    A person who has completed the requirements for National Board for Professional Teaching Standards Certification (whether or not they hold a National Board Certificate) is not required to complete any renewal credits if he or she submits a copy of his or her official National Board assessment scores at the time of renewal.

    Pursuant to NAC 391.073, a holder of a Retiree License, or a licensee submitting a letter from the Nevada Public Employees Retirement System (PERS) verifying retired status or a letter from employer stating that you have retired with proof of 15 combined years of teaching through Nevada Public Schools, Private Schools, and/or Charter Schools with a completed Verification of Experience form, does not need to complete any continuing education credits for renewal.

    Special Requirements for Special License/Endorsement Types

    Licensees who hold an educator license in any of the following areas are subject to special renewal requirements as detailed below:

    Automotive Service Technology: Must submit proof of valid ASE certification as a master automobile technician, or proof of valid certification in all of the following areas: brakes; electrical and electronic systems; engine performance; and suspension and steering; see NAC 391.13065.

    School Nurse: Must submit proof of current licensure by the State Board of Nursing.

    School Psychologist: Must submit proof of current certification as a nationally certified school psychologist issued by the National School Psychology Certification System of the National Association of School Psychologists, or must complete 6 renewal credits as detailed above;

    School Social Worker: Must submit proof of current licensure by the Nevada Board of Examiners for Social Workers;

    Special Qualifications: May be renewed by showing evidence of professional growth in the area of endorsement during the term of the special qualifications license;

    Renewing an Expired License

    If your educator license has expired, you must reapply for licensure. Submit a completed licensure application though OPAL to the Office of Educator Licensure along with one completed and signed fingerprint card or have your prints taken electronically at one of our approved Livescan vendors after submittal and payment of the licensure fee. This must be paid at the time of application through our OPAL system.

    If your expired license is a Standard or Professional License, you will need to submit proof of completion of 6 renewal credits as outlined above.

    If your expired license is a Non-Renewable License/Provisional, you will need to submit test scores and/or transcripts showing that any remaining provisions on that license have been satisfied through your OPAL account.

    Please note that any standard or professional licenses which licensees have allowed to expire are no longer “grandfathered” and will receive the new provision for Parental Involvement and Family Engagement Coursework. This is pursuant to NRS 391.019 and NAC 391.045 effective July 2015.

    Information on Adding Additional Endorsements

    If you are applying for an additional endorsement or area of licensure to your existing Nevada educator license, you will need to register for your online profile through OPAL add these endorsements on during the application process please make sure to include:

    • Proof of completion of all academic requirements for licensure in the specified area(s), in the form of original transcripts issued by a regionally accredited college or university and bearing the college or university seal. Electronic transcripts are acceptable if sent directly to the Department of Education from the issuing institution or a recognized clearinghouse such as eScript. All electronic transcripts should be emailed to 
    • Competency testing score reports, if required.
    • Verification of teaching experience or work experience (for Administrators, Business & Industry and Special Qualifications applicants only), if applicable.
    • Additional endorsements are $50.00 each and payable with a credit or debit card through OPAL.

      Frequently Asked Questions

      Q: How do I know what testing is required for Nevada licensure.
      A: Please visit the Competency Testing link for more information on this.

      Q: Which licenses or endorsements should I apply for?
      A: All licenses and endorsements are covered by clicking on the links from the main webpage under the standard license requirements, special license requirements, or licensed personnel requirements.

      Q: How much does it cost to renew my license and endorsements?
      A: Currently the fee is $150 to renew your license and all endorsements which are on that license. If you wish to add on additional endorsements at the time of renewal, you may pay an additional $50 per endorsement.

      Q: What if I previously held a license with the NDE, am I considered “grandfathered” in for anything and do I qualify for the $150 renewal fee?
      A: No. If you allow your license to lapse, you are considered a “reapply” and treated as an initial licensee. There is no “grandfathering” of anything for holding a previous license with the NDE. In fact, you will be subject to all applicable regulation changes for any newly required provisions to be placed on your license and you will have to pay the $180 fee for the initial license and $50 for each additional endorsement you would want back on the license.