New Teachers (Foreign Educators)

Information for All Applicants

A criminal background check is a requirement of all applicants for Nevada Department of Education licensure pursuant to NRS 391.033. In all cases, you will also have to background for your employer. Please note that your employer and the NDE do not share your information and you will (in most cases) be required to do two separate background checks. Failure to background check for the NDE will result in denial of licensure and then you will need to reapply and repay the fees.

If you are applying or renewing for any Nevada educator license, you must meet the following requirements: Pursuant to NRS.391.060, you must be a citizen of the United States or a lawful permanent resident of the United States with a valid Permanent Resident Card. If you are a naturalized U.S. citizen, you must show either a valid U.S. Passport or a Certificate of Naturalization. If you are not a U.S. citizen or permanent resident, but have legal immigration status which allows you to work in the United States, you may be licensed as an educator in Nevada only if a Nevada school district or Charter School has offered you employment and provided you with a completed Notification of Offer of Employment form linked below:

You must meet all requirements for academic preparation, student teaching, and competency testing for the specific area of licensure for which you are applying. In some cases, full-time contracted teaching experience may waive student teaching requirements, please see NAC 391.042 for more information.

Foreign Applicants Checklist

Nevada offers reciprocity for current, valid, non-provisional, and non-conditional licensees coming from other states. If you are applying for any Nevada educator license for the first time from out-of-state, including a substitute teaching licenses, you will need to first register for your online profile through OPAL and follow the checklist below:

Foreign Transcripts

An applicant for a Nevada educator license who submits a foreign transcript (i.e. any transcript issued by a college or university outside the United States) for consideration must submit an evaluation of that transcript performed by an independent evaluation agency which has been approved by the Nevada Commission on Professional Standards in Education (NAC 391.050). That evaluation must include:

  • A photocopy of the transcript(s) evaluated 
  • An original course-by-course evaluation showing degree equivalency, completed by an approved evaluation agency. 
  • A photocopy of the translation of the transcript(s), if not in English. 

A transcript from a Canadian college or university is only subject to the requirements above if it is in a language other than English.

The Nevada Department of Education will accept foreign transcript evaluations the two credentialing services: National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES) or the Association of International Credential Evaluators, Inc. (AICE), or Global Education Group, Inc.

Information on Adding Additional Endorsements

If you are applying for an additional endorsement or area of licensure to your existing Nevada educator license, you will need to register for your online profile through OPAL add these endorsements on during the application process please make sure to include:

  • Proof of completion of all academic requirements for licensure in the specified area(s), in the form of original transcripts issued by a regionally accredited college or university and bearing the college or university seal. Electronic transcripts are acceptable if sent directly to the Department of Education from the issuing institution or a recognized clearinghouse such as eScript. All electronic transcripts should be emailed to 
  • Competency testing score reports, if required.
  • Verification of teaching experience or work experience (for Administrators, Business & Industry and Special Qualifications applicants only), if applicable.
  • Additional endorsements are $50.00 each and payable with a credit or debit card through OPAL.

    Areas of Licensure

    Please go back to the home page and look at the types of licenses and endorsements which the Nevada Department of Education offers.

      Frequently Asked Questions

      Q:How do I know what testing is required for Nevada licensure.
      A: Please visit the Competency Testing link for more information on this.

      Q: Which licenses or endorsements should I apply for?
      A: All licenses and endorsements are covered by clicking on the links from the main webpage under the standard license requirements, special license requirements, or licensed personnel requirements.

      Q: Do I qualify for reciprocity through Nevada if I hold a license from another country?
      A: The NDE does not reciprocate foreign licenses; the requirements for other countries are, in most cases, very different from ours. We must therefore do a course-by-course evaluation and determine if you meet the requirements set forth in our State.