Nevada's State GEAR UP (Gaining Early Awareness and Readiness for Undergraduate Programs) is a federally funded, competitive grant that is designed to increase the number of low-income students who are prepared to enter and succeed in postsecondary education. Students are identified to participate in GEAR UP during their 7th grade year and take part in GEAR UP activities that continue through high school and into college. The state grant currently serves 22 schools and over 5500 students throughout the state.
GEAR UP priorities are as follows:
- Significantly increase GEAR UP students' and families' knowledge of postsecondary education options, preparation and financing
- Raise the expectations of GEAR UP middle school and high school personnel to create a college-going culture that provides all students with the tools necessary to apply for and succeed in postsecondary education and future careers
- Improve GEAR UP schools through coordination with school improvement plans and to increase a common understanding of P-16 articulation issues among Nevada middle and high schools.
Governor Sandoval’s GEAR UP Vision:
- Change the culture of targeted schools to ensure students are academically prepared and have the resources to attend and succeed in college.
- Increase NSHE involvement in GEAR UP schools to create a smooth transition from secondary to postsecondary for attendance and success.
Nevada GEAR UP Information
- School Districts and Higher Education