Senate Bill 313 (2019, 80th Legislative Session) was signed into law on June 6, 2019 by Governor Steve Sisolak. The bill was sponsored by Senators Woodhouse, Denis, Dondero-Loop, and Parks. S.B. 313 continues the work presented in S.B. 200 by providing funding for teacher endorsement reimbursement, NSHE pre-service teacher program development in computer science, and establishing an account to receive gifts and donations to further the CS education work in Nevada.
Section 1: An internet repository of resources is to be built. The NDE computer science pages and the STEMHub website will be built out to include more resources from and for districts.
Section 2: A person who receives an endorsement to teach computer science may apply for reimbursement for the costs of receiving that coursework.
Note: What this reimbursement process will look like is currently under review by the State Board of Education. More information to come as it becomes available.
Section 3: An account for Computer Education and Technology is to be created within the Department of Education to accept gifts and donations to further computer science education efforts in Nevada - i.e. teacher training, reimburse endorsement costs, build NSHE pre-service teacher programs, and incentivize teachers to earn a degree/credential specializing in computer science education
Section 4: Each RPDP must provide training in computer science and integrated technology to all teachers in Nevada.
Section 6: The Board of Regents may apply for grant funding from NDE to develop the curriculum and standards required to educate and train a person who is studying to become a teacher in computer literacy and computer science. (This includes ALL pre-service K-12 teachers.)
Section 7: Funding allocation for the 19/20 and 20/21 school years is as follows:
- Clark County: $400K for each year
- Washoe County: $100K for each year
- Rural/Charters: $200K for each year by a non-competitive application process. Rural districts MAY opt to apply as a consortium as in the past. Grant applications will be published on the NDE website: http://www.doe.nv.gov/Grants/Home/
- Funding for NDE to provide monitoring and support: $12,588 (across biennium)
- Initial amount deposited to account for Computer Education and Technology for grants: $100K
- Total computer science education funding over the biennium: $1,632,588.